Mar 10, 2011

Walk before God, not after Him

I was really blessed recently in my study of Genesis 17. When studying this chapter, it’s pretty common to focus on the name changes from Abram to Abraham and from Sarai to Sarah. It’s also common to examine the significance of the covenant of circumcision. That can be very heady stuff – at least for me.

But, as I studied, I was taken by something that I’ve never considered before. In Verse 1, I made an amazing discovery for my personal process of sanctification. Look at the verse:
Now when Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am God Almighty; walk before Me, and be blameless.” (Gen. 17:1)
Christians often refer to their lives as a walk. It’s a good metaphor. Notice in this verse, walking is the picture God uses in this case, too. But, what struck me was the position of where God is in this picture. God tells Abram to “walk before Me.” That’s a much different notion, to me, than following God.

As I discussed this with my adult Sunday school class, we came away with two applicable ideas from this. One – all we do is in God’s view. Two – we have free will to make choices on the direction of our lives.

Now, in context, Abram has been given clear guidance by God on where he should be and once in that obedience, Abram had the full assurance of God behind him. Yet, in his relationship with God, Abram had freedom. And Abram lives out this freedom under the watchful eye of the One who just called Himself El Shaddai – God Almighty.

I confess that I like the notion that I have the Heavenly Father who is fully sufficient and all capable looking over me … and if I’m attuned to His Spirit, I can continue my process of sanctification for His glory and my edification. I’ll make mistakes, just as Abram did. However, I know God is behind me and I must walk blameless before this Almighty God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated. Please be respectful. Just because a comment does not appear does not mean the moderator has not responded directly.